Pages

Monday, January 18, 2016

The location of reading

I am currently reading 6 books, well 8 if you count the 2 that are my I left it here in the car in case I get somewhere super early and need to read and the one I keep in my office "just in case I get to the gym today."

I have realized that the location of where I am, in addition to my general disposition, determines which of the many books I actually select to read.  I need something silly I go one direction, something serious another book, etc.

However, the location also makes me pick.

I went to the beach, I grabbed Jaws: A Novel partly because it relates to where I am going, partly because it is silly to read that and then look a the person next to you and say "Don't go in the water." is a scared and trembling voice.

Cold winter night, I grabbed Mistborn: The Final Empire (Book No. 1) and imagined myself in the mists and as a Mistling.

Going to a conference and needing to look academic, I grabbed Empire of Sin: A Story of Sex, Jazz, Murder, and the Battle for Modern New Orleans because it is a true story of the development of music and New Orleans, while still being very entertaining.

I have slowly come to realize that while I love reading, my mood and location help me determine what book I am going to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment